Let’s start with the new apartment on the second floor of building two. The top cabinets were separated from the base cabinets using a hack saw. The unit with the fridge was left alone.
The top cabinets were then hot glued to the foam board wall as seen and a foam board base was constructed to elevate the base units and wide enough to push them some distance away from the top pieces, so the dolls heads would not knock against them while washing the dishes etc…
Then the now wider counter space was measured and foam board was cut, making sure to cut out a space for the sink. The remaining counter was then covered with white printer paper and sealed with ModPodge (for a gloss effect and to make somewhat waterproof). Picture of semi finished kitchen can be seen below with lots more counter space and head room above for dolls.
Kenmore Kitchen kit-bashed in Apartment 4
Dollhouse flooring was glued to the floor and dollhouse brick sheets were used as the counter back splash. Not quite sure if the back splash will remain red or whether I will put more above the wall cabinets to continue the flow.
Most of the accessories were from Re-ment with the rest of miniatures, plant and floor rugs from eBay. The blue crock pot set on top the wall cabinets was found in the dollhouse aisle of Hobby Lobby.
In the picture above you can see where the carpet from the living room meets the kitchen tiles. The carpet is the same white felt used in the Poppy living in Apartment two of building one. Hit Single Darla Daley Poppy is seated at a table set from the Barbie Happy Family house. Another picture of the kitchen with Cold Shoulder Eugenia can be seen below.
To the left of the kitchen is the living room.
A Magals (no longer in business) furniture set was first used to test out the area. The coffee table is from a My Scene Coffee shop playset and the round woven rug is actually a place mat. Stuffed toy giraffe and elephant were purchases from Hobby Lobby. In this shot the windows have not yet been framed and no ‘glass’ has been installed.
Below you will see the lady of the house, Going Public Eugenia, renamed Mercedes, entertaining a new set of guests….all the rest of Eugenias in my collection (15 total).
Blue poster paper has been glued to the walls and a thin strip of balsa wood painted and added as the frame for the windows.
The door seen above leading to the bedroom was cut out of the foam board to the right and top. The left side was slightly scored so it could act as the ‘hinge’ to allow the door to open and close. The door was then covered with wood grain contact paper and the framed with balsa wood.
Framed pictures on the floor will be put up on the walls shown. They are shots I found on the web of Grenada (frames from Hobby Lobby). The plan is to make many more white framed pictures for this wall, as Mercedes is a photo enthusiast and her apartment will be filled with pictures of islands she has visited.
Going through the door leads us to the bedroom (small peek of bathroom to the right).
The bed was constructed by TnT’s Little things a very nimble carpenter I found in the States years ago. I found it a bit low so hoisted it up with some wooden balls I found at Michael’s craft store. Be sure to check out his Flickr site, he has really neat shots with 1:6 dolls in items he has made, like my pool table.
The bed linen was made by the lady of JATMAN stories and the blanket knitted by my sister. The vanity is the famous Barbie Silkstone one which I have had for years and exhibits a few signs of age.
The door above is the other side of the door you just saw in the living room. On this side I decided not to use the wood grain contact paper. First I measured out thin cardboard, like what is used to frame pictures, to the size of the door and cut it out. From this a rectangle was cut out of the middle.
Next the piece with the rectangular hole was glued to the foam door. About 1/4 inch was trimmed off the side and top of the rectangular inner piece remaining and then glued in the center of the door as shown above. After the glue sufficiently dried the entire door was painted white and left to dry. A dollhouse door handle was next stuck in place and a balsa wood frame painted white was installed around the door.
Last area in this apartment to see is the bathroom.
The floor is simply a white tile pattern from the web, duplicated four times on a sheet and printed on printer paper. Once glued to the floor, a light coat of Mod Podge was applied to give a slight gloss. The pieces for the bathroom are a mixture of Gloria (toilet and shower) and Barbie playset items (sink and shelf) all hand painted white with Acrylic paint. A final coat of Mod Podge is given of course to give a gloss effect. The pedestal sink was too short for my dolls, so luckily the cap of a can of white spray paint had the same diameter as the base so I hot glued them together before painting.
The original base for the Gloria shower unit was discarded and a sheet of dollhouse white tiles was hot glued to the back.
The Re-ment soap holder and back brush are held in place by Glue Dots, which can be found in craft or stationary stores. This was used as I can easily remove the items and put them back in place with no damage to the tiles. I also use these neat glue dots in the palms of the dolls so they can appear to be holding objects. 🙂
Behind the neat and tidy bathroom is a small dressing room and closet.
The walls and door for this bathroom are yet to be complete, but I just couldn’t resist adding a few miniatures to get a feel for the space.
The closet shown is the Barbie The Look Wardrobe and the chest of drawers was a craft store jewelry box I repainted.
Feel free to ask any questions here on my blog or on my Facebook page.
Thanks for visiting!