Results from a full day

Today I put in a full eight hours of work on my diorama project. First my attention was directed towards the second floor apartment. The floor, columns and ceiling were painted in white and trim and wallpaper added to the kitchen walls.

20140226-203407.jpg
My model Zilary will pose in the various rooms.

20140226-203632.jpg

20140226-203725.jpg

20140226-203758.jpg
The desk shown in the corner was originally green and today I applied one coat of white paint to get this “pickling” furniture effect. Here’s a close up:

20140226-203932.jpg
No significant changes shown in the following pictures, except for the bathroom and bedroom separation and my handmade linen for the beds:

20140226-204137.jpg

20140226-204229.jpg

20140226-204247.jpg
My focus then moved to the diner, where I cut out the exterior walls.

20140226-204402.jpg

20140226-204424.jpg

20140226-204500.jpg

20140226-204528.jpg

20140226-204606.jpg

20140226-204644.jpg

20140226-204651.jpg
My only disappointment is that this diner is quarter the size of my former diner project.

20140226-205134.jpg

20140226-205140.jpg
Out with old in with the new…

Photo Update

Here is a quick photo update on the post office, laundromat and third floor bedroom of building one.

20140224-203832.jpg

20140224-203843.jpg

20140224-203857.jpg

20140224-203914.jpg

20140224-203950.jpg

20140224-203958.jpg

20140224-204010.jpg

In the laundromat, the floor was painted, the walls covered with light green poster paper and the Soap Center machines were mounted. The post office floor was painted and the side wall covered in blue poster paper. The bedroom received a bed constructed of foam board and linen sewn by me. Then the floors were painted like the ground floor but I added a bit more detail by drawing in the planks and nails with a black ink pen. Tomorrow the floors will be painted over with Mod Podge to give a slight glossy finish.

Little details

For the past couple weeks I have worked on detailing the post office and here are the results:

20140215-073752.jpg

20140215-073804.jpg

20140215-073819.jpg

20140215-073835.jpg
It was great fun creating those small packages and a tedious exercise cutting those small labels and postcards. There are a few pieces still to be fitted in place on the main structure such as the tape dispenser, but I am leaving that for last.
Next area I focused on was the kitchen upstairs the post office.

20140215-074208.jpg
The kitchen walls got papered with this bright plaid contact paper. Wooden trim is still in the mail on its way to me from the states so that still has to be added, especially around the door way.

20140215-074421.jpg
In the January 11th post you can see this kitchen raised by layers of styrofoam. Now the styrofoam has been covered with black paper and it has a much cleaner look.
BEFORE

20140215-074823.jpg
AFTER

20140215-074855.jpg
Finally I moved over to the Diner in the next building and created the stands for the booth seating. Some hot glue is visible on the center booth, but that will be hidden when the final trim is added. The table legs still have to be constructed.

20140215-075324.jpg

See you next time.