Small updates

This weekend I spent my time sewing the booth seats for the corner diner. First I used cardboard (used in picture frames) to create cuboids for the base (6″x4″x1″) with this pattern. Next scored the edges with a utility knife and metal ruler.
20140113-211429.jpg
Then folded along the edges and taped the flaps together.
20140113-212356.jpg
For the seat backs I created cuboids (6″x4″x0.5″). The red faux leather was then cut (about 7″x 5″) and wrapped, wrong side up, around a cuboid. Two lines were sewn across the width, about 2″ apart, then the four corners were pinched and sewn in. The material is now ready to be fitted to the cuboid with hot glue after flipping to the right side. Finally the backs were glued to the seats. You may be wondering why no padding was used. Well I made a mock booth and with the proposed height for the tables the padding reduced the space to seat a doll tremendously so felt it best to leave it out. As you can see below the booths still look realistic. Tomorrow I will make the bases (6″x4″x3″) out of cardboard to complete the booths.

20140113-213921.jpg
(Note the floor below the stools was covered with the same contact paper used in the diner as the original play set had a checker floor which did not match)

Next small task today was placing the labels on the soap dispenser/change machines for the laundromat.

20140113-214157.jpg

20140113-214207.jpg
The labels I created on my computer, printed, cut out and glued on. They will be mounted, after I’ve decided what colour to paint the walls in.

Thanks for stopping by!

btw… I’m in the Caribbean where we spell like the British (colour not color) and experience summer all year round. My island is known for its spices, fabulous beaches and warm hearted people. Can you guess where I am?

New year efforts

Well this Christmas I can truly say I got what I wanted, a utility knife, foam board and plenty spray paint. The utility knife was put to use straight away and all the walls for the two apartments have been cut, and the second floor kitchen has been hoisted up a few inches using styrofoam. Next week I will cover the exposed styrofoam with black paper as I did for the kitchen on the top floor. Upstairs the Z shaped bookcase was painted and you see the wall between the kitchen and small living room has been installed.
Here are a few pictures to show my progress on both floors:

20140111-082011.jpg

20140111-082030.jpg

20140111-082100.jpg

20140111-082113.jpg

20140111-082151.jpg

20140111-082211.jpg

20140111-082240.jpg

20140111-082257.jpg

20140111-082317.jpg

20140111-082335.jpg

Next on the agenda, repaint Poppy’s pink furniture and green desk, apply wallpaper to second apartment walls, apply flooring and make a bed for this couple on the mattress.

20140111-082902.jpg
I’m off to work on the diner…

Cheers to 2014!!!

Wishing you and yours the very best in this New Year!!! It has been a wonderful holiday season, thank goodness and I was so lucky to receive more material for the diorama project as gifts. My work on the street will continue next week. Thanks so much for all the support in 2013, the project has come a long way and lots more updates are in store.

Cheers!